|I'm here to swing axe and chew squig, and I'm all out of squig....|
The problem with this Orruk (aside from the glued on head (last time I'll mention this, I promise)) is that the armor takes up most of his body. I planned to use the same style I used on my
Black Orcs Orruk Ardboys. That is: start by airbrushing a dark metal (Vallejo Gun Metal), zenithal airbrush a lighter metallic tone (Vallejo Steel), follow with a wash of Agrax Earthshade, then apply Gryphonne Sepia and finish with a strong highlight with Stormhost Silver. Then (aside from painting the skin and wooden weapon handles) pick a few interesting pieces of armor and paint them red. This helps to paint a unit of Ardboys quickly and effectively (I think). Here is an example.
|The unit of immortals I painted in 2016 is about to receive reinforcements.|
The Megaboss is a much larger model and his armor is basically to big for this to work. It turns into a really boring valley of 'nothing to see here'. Thanks to some texture a drybrush helps, but just not enough. As I was painting my Deathwatch marine's base I decided to vent my frustration over the ugly look of the model by going a bit Jackson Pollock on the armor, albeit not with Oil Dripping but with Airbrush leftovers. I thinned down whatever was in the cup (mostly browns and rust tones) with some flow improver and then randomly added small splats of it to the armor. At a certain point I actually added a purple sheen too. It's quite well visible here. All in all don't think just spray and try to feel artistic while doing it.
|I don't think I'll ever worry about adding weird colors to metal armor again, just go for extremely thin paints and channel Bob Ross's 'there are no mistakes, just happy little accidents'.|
After this step the armor got a lot more interesting, but the model was still suffering from a very serious case of lack of variation. That's when I decided to make the blood indentations in the armor and the cords tying the skulls down red. This extremely small thing helped a lot more then I expected. It manages to make a rusty model look interesting and also ties it in with the rest of my army.
|Even though I usually shirk away from adding blood to a weapon, it adds the right amount of menace to this model.|
Last, but certainly not least was adding blood to the axe and claw. I'm always slightly worried about adding blood as I think it can quickly look like a cheap effect (or worse perform the same ignoble job as badly placed mud (i.e. attempt to cover a painting mistake)). But thanks to this blood painting tutorial by ThirdEyeNuke from Tale of Painters I have a technique that works and looks spectacular (IMHO). Although I usually just mix Tamiya Clear Red with Vallejo Smoke for the effect. For the Megaboss I waited with the blood until the base was glued on so I could add some blood drips to match the location of the axe. All in for a model I've been cursing at for the last few weeks I'm quite satisfied with the end result. I think he looks big, grim, intimidating and deadly enough to boss all my other Greenskins around. As soon as the Orruk bug leaves me I'll shoot a bunch of pictures of my army so far which will serve nicely to get a better sense of size, especially of old models versus the new (my Orruk collection features models from as far back as 1987).